Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Education Law

For more than 45 years, the Law Offices of Neal H. Rosenberg has been the premier education law firm in New York. As one of the oldest and largest education firms, our attorneys are compassionate to the individual needs of your child and provide a customized, one-on-one service for the duration of your case. In addition to offering advocacy and support to parents of children with special educational needs, we are also here to answer your questions and help you navigate the special education maze.

Below are some of the most common education law questions and answers. For more information about education law and the services our firm provides, contact us.

  • What is FAPE? Free and Appropriate Public Education, also known as FAPE, is provided to all students under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA). Our firm can help ensure school districts offer appropriate accommodations to special needs students. To learn more, visit our What Is FAPE? page.
  • What is an IEP? An Individualized Education Program (IEP) is a referral, evaluation and documented plan that outlines a child's special education needs as well as the services and accommodations the school district must provide to that child. For a more thorough explanation, visit our What Is An IEP? page.
  • What is an appropriate education? Education programs for disabled students may be considered "appropriate" if they meet the student's individual needs to the same extent nondisabled students' needs are met. This may include education in a regular classroom, the use of aides, services, and education in separate classrooms accompanied by related therapy.
  • Why do I need a special education lawyer? The staff of attorneys at our firm help parents of students with special needs obtain tuition reimbursement, resolve disciplinary matters, and get necessary accommodations. Further, we will serve as your advocate and trusted counselor throughout any process, hearing or litigation related to special education or education law.
  • What if I can't afford what my child needs? At our firm, we understand the financial burden that comes with having children with special education needs, and we can help. While each case is different, our staff of skilled attorneys will help make certain your child obtains the accommodations and special services needed.

Have More Questions?

Get the answers you need from one of New York's leading education law firms. Contact the Law Offices of Neal H. Rosenberg via email or call 212-732-9450 today.